Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15eeZanJO

Thursday, April 2, 2009

1st ultrasound...

Well, we had our first ultrasound today and it wasn't really what we had expected. First of all, we knew there was a chance that we were not as far along as we thought we were. We also didn't really know what we were going to see today. So to start from the beginning. We got to the ultrasound thinking we were about 5 weeks 6 days. We thought we were going in to get some reassurance that everything was fine, and we got very little to ease our minds. The tech got busy doing her thing and we were able to see the gestational sac and what I learned later from my doctors nurse, a yolk, however there was no embryo in the sac. At that point everything got a little hazy and I immediately assumed the worst. I don't really remember anything that the tech said after that. All I could think of was that I had a blighted ovum (or an empty sac) or that the baby stopped growing earlier this week, basically this was the end of baby. Thank God Zig was there. After looking more at the size of the sac and taking some measurements, the tech determined the sac was measuring more like 5 weeks 1 day, therefore, she did not think it was unusal that she couldn't find the embryo. She said that is why she does not like to do ultrasounds that early in the pregnancy and that just because she didn't see it now, doesn't mean I am not pregnant.

It is so weird because I knew going in that we may not see anything, but when it happened I immediately got scared. This is something that we have wanted for so long, I was scared that something was going to happen to take it away. All the crazy pregnancy hormones don't really help.

So when I got back home (I decided to work from home today), I called the medical hotline at my doctors office and with in an hour got a call back from the nurse. She said that I definately should not be worried. That this early in the pregnancy it is hard to really determine how far along a women is because not everyone has 28 days cycles and not everyone ovulats on their cycle day 14. I have been charting my fertility since June so I knew that this was true for me. My cycles range from 28-32 days and I have ovulated as late as CD22, so this made me feel alot more comfortable. Also, she said that the fact that there was a yolk should be reassuring as well. The doctor will likely order another ultrasound for either late next week or the following to make sure the baby has grown from today. She also ran some blood work yesterday, so I am hoping when she gets the results my betas and hcg levels will show as being on track.

So long story short, we are ok. I am still scared and worried, even though it is normal, but I have the most amazing and supportive husband who has really helped me a lot over the past few weeks. I have been having a roller coaster of emotions and he is so patient. I couldn't not be more lucky. And another special thanks to our moms. Sorry for calling in tears and scaring you half to death. And thank you for just easing our minds and letting us vent or worries. I just don't know any better and for some reason, moms always know how to make it better. I love you all! Please keep us in your prayers.

Sorry for the long post, I told you it wasn't always going to be puppy dogs and rainbows, but these are the things that make us stronger...

1 comment:

  1. Michele, Don't get discouraged. Remember the baby is less then the size of a droplet of water. It's hard for the ultrasound to focus in on something so small...it's hard to believe that's the best we have with technology. I know as an expecting mother, you want to know you have a health baby inside...it's still too early to have difinitive answers. I'm amazed the did an ultrasound so soon? Trust that in a few more weeks, you'll be able to "see" more. For now, get sleep and enjoy this time. It goes fast. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete